Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Wicked Workout

I'm whipped, the ride tonight at Wompatuck was way faster than last weekend as there were more people and some better riders that really pushed the pace. Once again I was lapped multiple times, though near the end I managed to hold on for two laps giving it everything I had and the stopping to watch the finish. The sound of the finish is something I'll never forget, and it is a sound I'll cherish every time I hear it in the future. Like a swarm of angry bees the hum of the tires on the road screaming along at over thirty miles and hour in the sprint to the finish was just awesome.

I did end up meeting Andrew and I did buy the tires from him, I'll take them into Landry's tomorrow to get them all setup so I can use them next Wednesday. In the end since he was willing to accept a personal check I was willing to accept that the tires really were a good deal. I definitely liked him, as we chatted for as we did a cool down lap after the race. I hope to see him at Wompatuck or Wells Ave in the future.

I also talked with a 66 year old that managed to keep with the group for around 19-20 laps before he was dropped. He is an inspiration to me to keep pushing to get in shape, and hopefully stay in shape like he has. Before the race started I did a couple laps with a racer that was also getting back into the swing of things, though he has a deep well of experience to pull on. I couldn't quite catch his name as he mumbled it, but essentially he is a racer that was on the Haitian Olympic squad many years back, and it was his racing that allowed him to come to and stay in America. Now later in his life (I would guess mid-40s) he's a success and has been able to start racing again. Every time the group came around he was always near the front and participated in at least one break that I saw. I hope to see them both at future rides as I loved listening to their stories.

Another thing I learned today is it is so much better to be at the front than the back. For the first two laps I hung out at the front on the far right about 2 rows back from the leaders. The closeness of the other riders as we were riding 6 abreast on a fairly narrow road was pretty nerve racking for me. After the 2nd lap I let myself slip back to give myself some more room and while I hung on until the start of the 3rd I was dropped due to the accordion effect you get at the back around turns. I have a lot to learn, but I feel like I'm learning and slowly getting some conditioning.

Still I'm totally exhausted now, so I'm off to bed.

The Food Log
Glasses of Water - 9
Breakfast - A Bagel w/Cream Cheese and a Banana
Lunch - 1/2 a Cheese & Pepperoni Pizza
On the Ride - 32oz of Gatorade & 2 Packets of Gu
Dinner - 2 Italian Sausages and a Bowl of Fresh Snow Peas

No comments: