Friday, August 3, 2007

Glass

I didn't ride yesterday as I had to spend a couple hours in the afternoon taking care of car and bike maintenance so I had to skip so I could swing into work early. The world from the Landry's in Norwood crew is that I didn't get ripped off with the wheels. I'll be taking them out for a ride tomorrow on the group ride. My plan is to only use the for racing after the group ride. I'm excited to give them a try. The only real problem is the cassette on the race wheels isn't exactly the same as my commuter wheel cassette so I have to adjust the cable tension every time I switch out but I can live with that. I'll have to take some pictures because they look pretty cool.

Today I was looking forward to nice ride into work and for the first six miles it was nice, if a little warm. A nice little piece of glass decided to hitch a ride in my wheel and after taking a half hour to change the flat on the side of the road I was soaked in sweat and my quads were really uncomfortable as I got back on the bike. About a mile down the road my wife passed me (my support crew) and I decided to throw in the towel and put the bike on the roof rack and took a ride into work. My quads are pretty unhappy tonight, I'm hoping they loosen up on the group ride tomorrow morning.

There is actually a fair amount of glass on the side of the road on my way to work so I ended up getting a new Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite tire for my rear wheel. I'll probably get one for my front commuter wheel too, but I want to see how this one handles. My front tire still is in decent condition for now anyway. Hopefully I won't have any more flats any time soon.

Where I did flat to elderly women came out onto their front porches and watched me go through the paces of changing the tire. I'm sure I looked plenty goofy, though one was kind enough to offer me a glass of water, which I declined as my hands were well covered in smutz. I had one cyclist pass and offer assistance, as well as a motorist with a bike rack. Its nice to have the offers even though I didn't need it this morning.

After changing the flat this afternoon and putting the new tire on tonight my thumbs are burning from all the pushing and stretching, but I feel like I'm getting better at it.

The Food Log
On the Ride to Work - 1 Gu Packet, 16oz of Gatorade
Breakfast - Sausage McMuffin w/Egg (I know horrible but the wife wanted a quick breakfast)
Lunch - Sub with Turkey and Ham w/ American Cheese
Dinner - Spaghetti with to many meatballs and mushrooms. (Oops I just made to many meatballs and not enough sauce.)
After Dinner - 1 Glass of Chocolate Milk

No comments: