Monday, August 27, 2007

Harry Potter's Glasses are ROUND!

I made the full circuit to a from work today on the bike, and while the ride in was smooth and uneventful the ride back was full of surprises. The biggest surprise to me was how much energy I actually had to keep pedaling hard up the hills all the way home. Even the big Medway hill didn't phase me as I powered up it without having to down shift or stand up.

Around the middle of the ride I noticed a car full of teenagers ahead of me on my right looking to pull out. The driver never even looked left after she came into my field of vision so I slowed slightly and prepared to slam on my break if she pulled out. She did pull out of course and I timed my stop to bring me right to her car door. She look appropriately shamed, I hope she looks both ways in the future.

Shortly after the I hard a large crunch an saw a big white blur in my peripheral vision that looked to me like my derailleur had flung off the back of my bike or my tire had blown out. I slowed and checked everything out only to see a white plastic cup rolling around in the middle of the road behind me. It was pretty windy today so it must have blown into my back tire as I passed.

Finally the highlight of the ride of follies was at a four way stop. I stopped and signaled a left turn and as I had arrived last waited for my turn. Everyone signaled for me to go so I did, only to have my left foot uncliped as I pulled up on it. I think I slid my foot a little out to the side and that's all it took. This caused my leg to lurch up and me to wobble side to side as I recovered and pedaled with my now clipped in right leg. Displaying all the grace of a drunken circus clown the motor cyclist on my left yelled out, "Smooth moves Harry Potter." To which I replied, "Harry Potter's Glassed are ROUND!" My glasses are not round!

No comments: