Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wompatuck, Oh What a Feeling

I left work early today to go to the Wompatuck Training Criterium and still ended up getting there just in time to line up and go. Now there are many rides that you can show up to cold and be fine, this was not one of them. Up until now I've considered 20mph on the flats really fast, but today totally blew that away. Even though it is just a training race these guys were flying. I managed to hang onto the wheels of the group for three laps (roughly 3 miles) at that pace before my muscles started to freeze up and my lungs started to explode. The great thing about it being a training race though is I was able to sit up and ride at a comfortable recovery pace of 17-18mph while waiting for them to come back around. After around 3-4 laps they'd catch me and I'd latch back on for as long as I could. The 2nd time I made it for 2 laps, but after that I never held on for more than a lap. In the end when the main field completed its 25 lap I finished my 20th.

Even though I was clearly outclassed I had an absolute blast trying to hang onto the group for as long as I could. If it had been flat and straight I know I could have held onto them for a lot longer, but in the end the acceleration out of the turns and up the couple small hills just did me in. For me it was like doing intervals, so overall a great workout. Since we were in a rush I forgot my water bottle again so I went without for the whole ride. It was only and hour but it would have made recovery a lot easier.

Dinner was late today so no after dinner snack. I have a feeling the Saturday ride this weekend is going to be a whole lot more manageable now that I have Wompatuck to compare it to. I've added new wheels to my list of things I'd like to get for my bike. I'd like a racing set to help give me just a little bit of extra speed out of those turns and up the hills. As I left the state park I thought Wompatuck was a very fitting name, because I felt like I'd been womped and I just wanted to tuck myself into bed and go to sleep.

Today the Tour de France just made me sad, comparing it to the joy of having the other racers cheering for me to push and catch their wheels and hold on for as long as I could just makes me sad for the state of the Tour.

In other news I did a weigh in this morning, and I'm up to 152lbs. It is always the same with me an exercise I always pack on pounds quick when I do it. The first day I was on the bike I was 144lbs. If history holds true I should cap out at 155-160. Still quite thin for a 6'4" guy, but it is the way I'm built.


The Food Log

Glasses of Water - 7
Breakfast - A banana and an Orange
Lunch - A Salad, 2 Spring Rolls, Salmon Curry and Rice
Post-Race Recovery - 32Oz of Gatorade and a packet of Gu Gel
Dinner - Teriyaki Chicken with Sprouts, Peas, and Carrots over Rice and a glass of Chocolate Milk

No comments: