Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Pitter Patter of Little Rain Drops

The ride into work this morning was overcast and very humid, which made the ride hot and sticky even though its only 70F. I made the ride in exactly an hour today, though the highlight for me was a really long hard push in top gear that carried me for about a half mile to the first speed sign where I sailed through at 31mph without any further acceleration. I had been keeping pace with a truck over the distance, and it was just a blast to buzz along at that speed. Still my RPMs at that point were pretty low probably around 45-50. I look forward to really picking that number up in the weeks to come. I didn't have to much trouble keeping my speed up the hills along Village St. but by the time I was well along 109 some of the longer ones kicked my butt and forced me to spin slowly up them. For that last 10 minutes of the ride it was drizzling slightly, but nothing that major.

When I got to work I realized I forgot my key card, so I had to go in through the front. The looks on the faces of the front desk people seeing me in full biking gear was pretty amusing. When I got to my desk I took off my bike helmet and a cascade of sweat was released that had been held back by the front padding. I'll have to be more careful of that next time.

Throughout the day my legs were letting me know pretty loudly that they've been going beyond the usual call of duty this week. Still my overall tiredness was definitely down even though my soreness was up. One other story from the ride this morning, near the end there is a rather long downhill and just before it one of those trucks with all the lawn mowing gear in a trailer behind pulled out across the road and nearly cut me off. I quickly stood up to accelerate out of the way and was once again stunned at how responsive the bike is to power input, it makes it a ton of fun to ride.

The Food Log:

Glasses of Water - 8
Breakfast - 1 Raisin Bagel with Cream Cheese, Banana, and 16oz of Gatorade
Lunch - 1 Dbl. Whopper w/Cheese
Afternoon Snack - 1 Orange, 4 Twix
Dinner - Breaded Chicken Alfredo with Chicken & Prosciutto Tortellini
After Dinner Snack - 3 Choc. Chip Cookies

No comments: