Friday, July 27, 2007

There and Back Again

Today was a good day on the bike. My ride in this morning was fast and easy. The hills are giving me far less trouble and I didn't feel any fatigue all afternoon. The highlight was being passed by Michelle in the car on a downhill. When I saw it was here I stood up and sprinted after her. I couldn't catch her but I was keeping pace until the road started to go uphill again, which was pretty much right after the downhill. During the downhill she said she was going 42, so I was going pretty quick probably in the high 30's and it was a lot of fun.

Since I was feeling good this afternoon I decided to try the ride home. Before I did though I got a chance to ride a co-workers bike around a little bit. His bike is more comfortable to ride as it has a nice soft seat on a shock absorber and wider wheels to keep things less skittish but I couldn't get it anywhere near the speed I can get mine. I think part of it is the gearing as I think my ratio is a lot higher in top gear. It was neat to do the comparison though. I'm hoping that'll he'll catch the bug and join me.

The ride home was harder than the ride in as it was in the high 80's and sunny, and since I ride home towards the west the sun was in my eyes whenever I wasn't in the trees. A decent headwind didn't help either, and with it swirling it hit me pretty hard broadside a couple times. Now on the way to work the uphills are long with a shallow grade and the downhills are shorter and very steep. Of course heading home the downhills are long and winding, and the uphills are crazy steep. There is a particular climb that has to be 8% or more for about 1/4 of a mile that then continues uphill for another 1/4 a mile around 3-4%. It made it up it without to much trouble but I was pretty winded by the top.

All told I still feel pretty good after the 36 miles or so that I rode today. I'm hoping that it doesn't rain tomorrow morning as I'm looking forward to a nice group ride. I do know that I'm going to sleep well tonight!

The Food Log
Glasses of Water - 10
Breakfast - 16oz of Gatorade on the Ride, a Banana, and a small bag of pretzels
Lunch - A hot dog, a Cheeseburger, and a Brownie (Company Picnic Lunch)
Ride Home - 16oz of Gatorade, a Banana
Dinner - A glass of Chocolate Milk, Beef Stroganoff with Peas
After Dinner Snack - A Cup of Yoplait Cherry Yogurt and a glass of Chocolate Milk

No comments: