Monday, July 23, 2007

Nature Provides

In a classic move I put my water bottle on a shelf near my bike while I pumped up the tires and left it there. I really didn't notice I'd left it behind until I was already about 7 miles into the ride. The weather this morning was cool and breezy with a 12mph headwind causing lots of trouble for me. Once I did notice I'd left my bottle I decided I'd just tough it out. After about 10 miles it started to mist and drizzle, and after 12 it really started to rain. Now mind you I haven't ridden a bike in the rain since I road a BMX as a kid so I was a little nervous. The cars whizzing by didn't help my nerves either. I decided to just sit up and ride at a nice steady even pace and I made it through the remaining miles without incident, just wet. All told I would have rather brought my water bottle and skipped the rain.

I'm not sure if its mileage or time that leads to loose shifters but by rear derailer is already starting to get a little skittish. Especially at the extremes it'll sometimes skip a shift or hop back and forth. I'm going to take the bike into the shop tomorrow to get a second water bottle rack put on, and I'll have them look at the shifters at the same time. All told I've put 180 miles on the bike since I bought it, not to shabby for an out of shape game designer.

On a rather less seemly subject I've discovered muscles in my butt that I really never noticed before. I'm pretty sure its my gluteus medius that's the most sore from dealing with keeping me balanced in the wind the last couple days, though my gluteus maximus is also getting more a workout than its used to. I'm used to being sore though, so none of my aches have moved into the realm where they're really bothering me. Its more like they're sending updates every couple minutes letting me know they've been putting in overtime.

The weather looks like the weather is going to pickup tomorrow, I'm probably going to drive into work and ride the bike home for a change of pace.

The Food Log
Glass of Water - 8
Breakfast - 2 Pop Tarts and 16oz of Gatorade
Lunch - Lasagna
After Lunch Snacks - Dbl. Cheeseburger, 1 Pack of Peanut M&Ms, 1 Pack of Pretzels
Dinner - Mac & Cheese and Ham Chunks, Salad with Ham, Glass of Chocolate Milk
After Dinner Snack - A Cup of Cheery Yoplait Yogurt

5 comments:

Father William said...

I try to blog-Dad

Father William said...

One hour later I comment on blog cluelesscyclist.blogspot finally-Dad

Father William said...

Keep up the good work-clueless :)

bclark said...

sucks about the watter bottle.. hard to ride in the wind ..add rain and its so not fun.

Having not had a car or dl till moving to TX I can tell you some bike stories:)

p.s. make sure you have a seat that is not going to leave you childless.

C4 said...

I like the seat that came with my bike, but then again I don't know much about bike seats. Any suggestions?

We'll definitely have to swap bike stories, as I'm finding there aren't that many people here at work who think cycling is anything short of insanity.